- Dilger, H. and Schulz, D., (2013). Politics of Religious Schooling: Christian and Muslim Engagements with Education in Africa. Journal of Religion in Africa, 43 (4): 365-378.
- Dilger, H., (2013). Religion and the Formation of an Urban Educational Market: Transnational Reform Processes and Social Inequalities in Christian and Muslim Schooling in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Journal of Religion in Africa, 43 (4): 451-4
- Hefner, R.W., Zaman, M.Q. (eds.) (2007). Schooling Islam: The Politics of Modern Muslim Education. Princeton: Series on Muslim Politics, Princeton University Press.
- Stambach, A., (2010a). Faith in Schools. Religion, Education, and American Evangelicals in East Africa. Palo Alto: Stanford University Press.
- Simpson, A. (2003). 'Half-London' in Zambia: Contested Identities in a Catholic Mission School. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.