SoSe 19: Implementation Project: Coding Openness
Students are introduced to the basics of Free/Libre Open Source Software (FLOSS) projects and can gain practical experience by participating in existing projects such as Wikidata. There will be an introductory event on Free/Libre Open Source Software. We will introduce the FLOSS communities of the cooperation partners and discuss their organizational practices. Students are introduced to existing FLOSS projects and gain insights into the requirements of distributed software development projects.
In the software project, we go through all phases of a user-centered software development project, from the identification of requirements in interviews through the interaction design of the user interface to the development in two-week iterations and the execution of user tests with a focus on usability. The developed solutions will be based on open source technologies and published under a free license. Through project-related learning, the participants can expand their communication skills, solve problems/tasks in a complex environment and develop their technical skills.
The tasks of the students within the project include:
- Coordinate the project idea together with the cooperation partner and plan the further course of the project.
- Collect and prepare requirements together with potential users
- Design, implementation, and testing of the software
- Organization and execution of presentations
- Documentation of the project results
Of course, the participants do not remain alone during the implementation of the software project. In the weekly meetings, we are available as consultants, mentors and (mediators). Besides, we will impart all the necessary methods and competencies if necessary.close
Selbständige Erschließung von Literatur (Artikel, Internet)
• Fogel, Karl: Producing open source software, Sebastapol: O'Reilly 2006. http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596007591.do
• Gacek, Cristina & B. Arief (2004): The Many Meanings of Open Source, IEEE Software 21(1), 34-40. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/1259206/
• Raymond, E.S. (1998): The Cathedral and the Bazaar, First Monday 3(3). https://firstmonday.org/article/view/578/499close
13 Class schedule